Which channel has one of the highest returns on investment? If you said email, you’re on the right track and this course will help you continue on that knowledge path. Email marketing allows you to reach valuable customers rapidly, frequently, and economically while delivering among the highest returns of all direct marketing channels. Discover how to develop effective email campaigns that get you noticed in a crowded inbox and truly drive results. You’ll walk away with winning email marketing strategies and tactics you can apply immediately to better engage and retain valuable customers, grow new business, and increase revenue and contribution.
A comprehensive curriculum takes you from regulatory and deliverability essentials through program strategy and design to the detailed how-to’s of building, managing, and improving a multi-pronged email marketing program. To get the free email marketing newsletter from the eec, visit www.emailexperience.org.
- State of the email industry
- Anatomy of an email marketing program
- Master the world of email lists and databases
- Produce engaging creative, every time
- Learn the art and science of testing
- Manage, track, and measure response
- Learn to comply with changing regulations - including the Federal CAN-SPAM Act
- Discover the how-to's of building, managing, and improving a multi-pronged email marketing program
- Walk away with winning email marketing strategies and tactics you can apply immediately
Day 1: 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
Email Today: Where the Industry Has Been, Where It's Headed
- A look at the history and evolution of email marketing and the major drivers
- How big is the industry? How fast is it growing? Get the latest studies, facts and figures
Permission, Laws and Deliverability
- Why permission is the foundation of successful email marketing
- Opt-out and opt-in and the shades of gray in between
- The Federal CAN-SPAM Act: Are you in compliance?
- The role of ISPs in deliverability and email marketing effectiveness
- The latest spam-fighting and credibility-building tactics and how to stay on the side of ISPs
Anatomy of an Email Marketing Program
- The first steps: Set the goal, define the objective, and develop a strategy
- The many ways commercial email can improve customer acquisition, retention and communication - plus a review of actual campaigns
- A strategic approach to email: Where dialogue-building and trigger-based marketing may fit into your campaign
- Timing, frequency, trigger and email dialog strategies
Master the World of Email Lists and Databases
- Winning strategies for targeting and reaching your audience via email
- A crash course on sourcing, pricing and using external (rented) email lists
- Get up-t-speed on how to collect email addresses and grow your in-house list
- Mastering email database maintenance, enhancement, hygiene and viability
Day 2: 9:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M.
Produce Creative That Engages - Every Time
- The offer: Best practices for meeting your objectives and driving response - plus vital do's and don'ts
- Promotional and response-boosting tactics: Coupons, sweepstakes, deadlines, daily deals and more
- Message formats: An updated on text, HTML and rich media plus related delivery and rendering issues
- Make every message component pull harder - from subject line to body to footer
- Email on the go: Designing email for mobile devices
- Getting advanced creative tactics right - from video to viral marketing
Learn the Art and Science of Testing
- What's working? What isn't? How will testing give you the answers?
- Defining a test road map and priority
- Structuring test matrices and series
- A/B Split testing
- Multivariate testing and optimization in email
Manage, Track and Measure Response
- Learn the four types of meaningful email marketing measures
- Email campaign process metrics (and calculations) demystified
- Formulas and methods for response analysis - presented in plain English
- Feedback and influence measures - why they are essential today
- How to measure email campaign, ROI, AOV and other contribution KPIs
Are you just dying to attend one of DMA’s Education seminars this year, but you’re not sure how to convince your boss to let you attend? Try one of these approaches or download our customizable convince your boss letter.
- I know budgets are tight, but this is an opportunity that pays for itself instantly. A single tip from any of the DMA seminar could pay for the costs of the whole training. I’ll be learning secrets from practicing experts and industry thought leaders.
- I'll become more proficient in industry best practices, as well as on the latest tactics and technologies in today’s ever‐evolving marketing landscape. From direct mail to data governance, social media to email marketing; the DMA has all of our needs covered.
- I can share what I learned after the seminar; maybe host a brown‐bag working lunch and present the team with all the new techniques, strategies, and ideas I’ll come back with. Combining my own notes and ideas with the session handouts provided by the DMA, I'll have plenty of inspiration and information to share when I return. Besides… this’ll allow everyone to get trained all for the price of sending just one person; and the team will definitely appreciate the opportunity to find out about the latest strategies used by many of our competitors today.
Still presenting itself as a hard sell? Inform your boss that your course can go on their accomplishments at the end of the year for their review: "Trained staff to improve results!" This is a win/win.