You have so little time to get your customer's attention. This course shows you how to make your direct mail package cut through the clutter and boost your response rates. You'll learn how to create all the elements of a direct mail package and come to recognize the key elements that affect the success of a direct mail campaign.
- Why direct mail remains an important direct marketing channel
- What you need to know about direct mail formats
- Evaluating direct mail creative
- Components of the direct mail package
- What you need to know about direct mail production
Approximately 90 minutes - self paced
Direct Mail Defined
- What is direct mail?
- A channel in transformation
- USPS research
- Effective direct mail
- Direct mail do's and dont'ts
- What is unaddressed mail?
Direct Mail Formats
- Business reply envelope (BRE)
- Classic direct mail package
- Cooperative mailing (Co-op)
- Dimensional mail
- Direct mail kit (DMK)
- Double postcard
- Inserts (package and statement)
- Adapting to ever-changing new mail formats, options and requirements
Components of the Direct Mail Package
- Outer envelope - types and areas of importance to get opened
- Sales letter - structure and design
- Response device
- Lift letter
- Case study or testimonial
- Reply envelope
What You Need to Know About Direct Mail Production
- Standard commercial mailing sizes
- Addressing vs. personalizing
- Variable data printing
- PURLs (Personalized URLs)
- Quick response codes (QR codes)
- Order of insertion and reading order
Creating and Evaluating Direct Mail Creative
- The message strategy brief - beginning the creative process
- Developing intellectual, emotional and personal copy appeals
- Basic human wants
- Kinds of copy - what does the prospect want or need to know
- Bob Stone's seven step formula for winning letters
- John Caple's direct marketing principles
- Ten point direct marketing copy checklist
- Design - a few words to get you started
Are you just dying to attend one of DMA’s Education seminars this year, but you’re not sure how to convince your boss to let you attend? Try one of these approaches or download our customizable convince your boss letter.
- I know budgets are tight, but this is an opportunity that pays for itself instantly. A single tip from any of the DMA seminar could pay for the costs of the whole training. I’ll be learning secrets from practicing experts and industry thought leaders.
- I'll become more proficient in industry best practices, as well as on the latest tactics and technologies in today’s ever‐evolving marketing landscape. From direct mail to data governance, social media to email marketing; the DMA has all of our needs covered.
- I can share what I learned after the seminar; maybe host a brown‐bag working lunch and present the team with all the new techniques, strategies, and ideas I’ll come back with. Combining my own notes and ideas with the session handouts provided by the DMA, I'll have plenty of inspiration and information to share when I return. Besides… this’ll allow everyone to get trained all for the price of sending just one person; and the team will definitely appreciate the opportunity to find out about the latest strategies used by many of our competitors today.
Still presenting itself as a hard sell? Inform your boss that your course can go on their accomplishments at the end of the year for their review: "Trained staff to improve results!" This is a win/win.