Words are critical to the success of your campaigns. Whether you’re writing an email, direct mail letter, blog post, or a Tweet, you need to create efficient marketing copy that gets read and acted on. In this module, you’ll learn how to write copy that jumps off the page. You’ll explore successful campaigns to gain a better understanding of how to write and evaluate great copy. You’ll discover how to write smarter, write better, and pull it all together.
- A quick look at missteps to avoid
- Four questions to ask and answer before you start
- Developing successful message strategies
- Creating direct marketing copy
- Marketing to special-interest groups
- Maintaining effectiveness, whether mail, print, or online
Approximately 90 minutes - self paced
Section 1: Write Smart/Before You Write
- What am I marketing?
- Who am I marketing to?
- Why am I marketing this now?
- What do I want my customers to do?
- Why does my customer care?
- What are your features and benefits?
- Bringing those questions together to create a Unique Value Proposition?
Section 2: Get Your Ideas Down/Ready. Set. WRITE!
- Beginning to Write
- Getting "Out of the Box"
- Leveraging Your Writing Across Channels
Section 3: Rewriting Your Messages
- Writing Long Messages
- Direct Mail
- Postcard Mailers
- Writing Short Messages
Section 4: Keep Rewriting!
- The Call to Action
- 35 Character Magic - Subject, Head, Tagline & Teaser
- Writing & Editing Tips
- Ordinary Words
- Speaking More Directly
- Personal Pronouns
Are you just dying to attend one of DMA’s Education seminars this year, but you’re not sure how to convince your boss to let you attend? Try one of these approaches or download our customizable convince your boss letter.
- I know budgets are tight, but this is an opportunity that pays for itself instantly. A single tip from any of the DMA seminar could pay for the costs of the whole training. I’ll be learning secrets from practicing experts and industry thought leaders.
- I'll become more proficient in industry best practices, as well as on the latest tactics and technologies in today’s ever‐evolving marketing landscape. From direct mail to data governance, social media to email marketing; the DMA has all of our needs covered.
- I can share what I learned after the seminar; maybe host a brown‐bag working lunch and present the team with all the new techniques, strategies, and ideas I’ll come back with. Combining my own notes and ideas with the session handouts provided by the DMA, I'll have plenty of inspiration and information to share when I return. Besides… this’ll allow everyone to get trained all for the price of sending just one person; and the team will definitely appreciate the opportunity to find out about the latest strategies used by many of our competitors today.
Still presenting itself as a hard sell? Inform your boss that your course can go on their accomplishments at the end of the year for their review: "Trained staff to improve results!" This is a win/win.